Doncaster Academy of Health Sciences
A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C or better. No more than two applied courses can count towards this total and each applied course counted has the equivalence of only one GCSE, regardless of its nominal size. In addition, students must achieve the specific entry requirements which may apply to this course.
Please speak to subject leader or look on website.
Typical Syllabus Outline
Most students will have the opportunity of studying:
- National Certificate, equivalent to 1 A Level graded A – E (6 units of work)
- National Diploma, equivalent to 2 A Levels graded A – E (12 units of work)
Each one of the units will be assessed internally and overall grade for the qualification is awarded. Students will be moderated by the examining body. All portfolios will expect students to demonstrate a good level of knowledge and understanding. In order to achieve the higher grade, students will be expected to collect and analyse information and data and carry out an evaluation of this. Students will develop high levels of independent learning skills.
- Unit 1 – Developing Effective Communication in Health and Social Care
- Unit 2 – Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health and Social Care
- Unit 3 – Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care
- Unit 4 – Development through the Life Stages
- Unit 5 – Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology for health & social care
- Unit 6 – Personal and Professional Development in Health and Social Care (requires 100 hours of work experience to be completed in three diverse Health & Social Care settings)
- Unit 7 – Sociological Perspectives for Health and Social Care
- Unit 8 – Psychological Perspectives for Health and Social Care
Optional Units from
- Unit 10 – Caring for Children and Young People
- Unit 11 – Supporting and Protecting Adults
- Unit 14 – Physiological Disorders
- Unit 18 – Working in the Health Sector
This course is equivalent to two "A" levels which means when you have finished the course you may choose to continue into:
- Employment within the wide range of ‘people’ based industries e.g. health, education, social care Or
- Higher education – this course has a value of up to 240 UCAS points, therefore it can form the basis of an application to university.
- C6 Health & Social Care(592 KB)